Sunday 21 June 2015

Cheese Scones

Growing up, one night in May each year would mean only one thing - Eurovision! And this year was no different, clipboards at the ready, a number of close family friends were round in various costumes for another night of (questionable) music but lots of laughs. Rather than going all European with my baking I stuck to crowd pleasers for all of those in attendance. For my Mum, a Victoria sandwich, for her friend Christine, some of my chocolate brownies and last but not least for Janice, extremely cheesy cheese scones.

Scones are very easy to make and can be tailored to suit all by a quick change of the fillings from sweet to savoury.



For this recipe visit my previous post here where you will find the ingredients and the method. You then just make a few amendments by taking out the sugar and substituting with cheese (of your preference) and adding a large pinch of mustard powder.

I didn't weigh out my cheese before adding it but it will have been approximately 200g finely grated with a little extra for on top of the scones once cut. The type of cheese you use is completely up to you - I used red Leicester. I also added around 2 teaspoons of dried mustard powder.

Once your scone mix is made and your scones are cut out, there is no need to add an egg wash simply add a final bit of cheese to the top - be careful to make sure it is fairly central to reduce the likelihood of it melting down the sides as this could cause your scones to be a little lopsided when risen.





These scones are best eaten straight out of the oven with a generous portion of butter. If you're not eating them straight away, pop them back in the oven to warm through before serving. Scones are also good to freeze and will last for a couple of months.

And that's all there is too it - happy baking!

Let me know how you get on.

Rach x

No comments:

Post a Comment