Sunday 19 April 2015

Millionaires Shortbread

Along with jam tarts I have also made some millionaires shortbread for the ladies at work this week. I was musing over what I might make and mentioned these when my desk neighbour was very excited I knew that I couldn't let her down.

I love millionaires shortbread. As if normal shortbread isn't tasty enough to add caramel and chocolate is super indulgent. I keep going on about wishing I could eat chocolate so that I can eat some of the things I've been baking - only 75 days to go and I can! Yet another recipe I will be remaking in a couple of months time.



To make loads of millionaires shortbread you will need:

For the shortbread:

  • 450g plain flour
  • 220g corn flour
  • 220g caster sugar
  • 450g unsalted butter
  • A pinch of salt
For the caramel you will need:
  • 250g unsalted butter
  • 300g light brown sugar
  • 1kg tin of contended milk
For the topping:
  • 600g of your chosen chocolate
To make the shortbread:
  • Cream the butter and sugar
  • Sift in the flours / salt and mix with your hands into a dough
  • Chill for about 30 minutes before rolling it and adding it to two lined tray bake tins. Using a fork prick lots of holes all over and bake for 20 minutes at 200 fan until golden brown.

To make the caramel:
  • Melt the butter and the sugar in a pan. When the sugar has dissolved as the condensed milk and bring the mixture to the boil. You will need to stir it constantly. Allow it to boil for a minute of two before removing from the heat and pouring it over your shortbread base. The longer you boil it the firmer your caramel will be - I did't really boil mine for long enough which resulted in it being very gooey!
Allow the caramel covered shortbread to firm up for a while in the fridge before melting the chocolate over a pan of simmering water and pouring it over the caramel to set.


When completely set slice your shortbread into pieces.




And that's all there is too it. You could go fancy and melt white chocolate to marble the top with if you wanted to.

Happy baking, let me know how you get on!

Rach x


No comments:

Post a Comment